Saturday 3 January 2015

A book turned into a movie

Astrid Lindgren: Ronja Ryövärintytär

Pages: 240

I was actually thinking about reading this as my book from childhood, but the truth is I can't remember if I've ever read this as a kid. Now I have and I'm even more convinced this book didn't play a big role in me growing up. If it had, I think I would not have been the child I was.

Anyway, Ronja Ryövärintytär (or Ronia the Robber's daughter in English) is apparently some kind of classic. It's written by Astrid Lindgren, a Swedish children's author. Like I said, I don't remember this book playing a big role in my childhood (I do, however, remember owning a board game based on it), but I remember my mom reading me some of her other works at bedtime. I haven't touched them since (especially not Emil of Lönneberga, that book scarred me for life), but I can still remember Pippi Longstocking's full name. So in a way it was nostagic to read this.

In a way this was a bad book turned into a movie. I do have the movie on DVD, but I've ever watched it. I started it once in Swedish, but it just didn't work out with my attention span. I am willing to try again, but this time with Finnish subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment